The Northern Virginia Daily's Political Depot

A service for our readers outside the Northern Shenandoah Valley... a sampling of The Daily's political coverage, plus unofficial, 'reporter's notebook' stuff. And occasional dry humor...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Strasburg, Virginia

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Raw Data: Statements on the death of Del. Harry Parrish, R-Manassas

The following are the full texts of various statments on Del. Parrish's death, in the order they arrived.

Gov. Tim Kaine


"Anne and I are deeply saddened by the death of Delegate Harry Parrish of Manassas. In January 2001, I started attending a Tuesday morning Bible study that is held during the General Assembly session."

"Harry was a regular attendee at those Bible studies, and during that time I came to know him as a dear person and a dear friend. In his public and his private life, Harry was always courtly and civil and committed to service. His composure and dignity combined with his commitment to working in a bipartisan manner for the future of the Commonwealth made him a true Virginia gentleman. We will miss him."

Attorney General Bob McDonnell

“Harry Parrish was a dedicated public servant, a war hero, and a great Virginia gentleman. I had the honor of serving with Harry in the General Assembly, and he was always a gracious, intelligent, upstanding example of what a public servant should be."

"Harry reached across partisan divides to bring people together, and at a time when many would choose retirement and rest, Harry chose to continue to serve the Commonwealth. I join countless Virginians in mourning his passing, and my prayers are with his family.”


Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Harris Miller

"I am greatly saddened by the death of Harry Parrish today. During his long tenure in the General Assembly, Delegate Parrish was a true example of Virginia's tradition of bipartisanship that serves the best interests of the people of Virginia. His legacy should be an inspiration to all in public service. My condolences and prayers go out to Delegate Parrish's family."

House of Delegates Speaker Bill Howell, R-Fredericksburg

“On behalf of the Virginia House of Delegates, I express our tremendous grief and sorrow at the passing of our dear friend Harry Parrish."

“Harry embodied so much of what is good and inspiring about public service. By any measure, Harry’s was a remarkable life of contribution whose distinguished military career and long-time service to his local community and entire Commonwealth merits the grateful admiration and respect of all Virginians."

“Like so many who knew and served with him in the General Assembly, I will always remember Harry’s strong character and gentle kindness. My rich memories of him mentoring me as a freshman member of the House Finance Committee are perhaps only surpassed by my gratitude for his friendship and counsel to me as Speaker as wll as for the fine example he leaves behind."

“Harry Parrish truly was a ‘Virginia gentleman’ who was loved by all and will be missed by all.”


Democratic Party of Virginia Chairman Richard Cranwell

"I was deeply distressed to hear of the passing of my dear friend Delegate Harry Parrish.
I had the privilege to serve with him for several years as co-chairs of the House Finance Committee. I was always impressed with his ability to put the interests of Virginia above the interests of partisan politics. His voice of reason will be sadly missed in the General Assembly."

"I will remember him not only as a great legislator and public servant, but also as a principled and decent man. The thoughts and prayers of Virginia Democrats are with the Parrish family."