The Northern Virginia Daily's Political Depot

A service for our readers outside the Northern Shenandoah Valley... a sampling of The Daily's political coverage, plus unofficial, 'reporter's notebook' stuff. And occasional dry humor...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Strasburg, Virginia

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Even More from Attorney General McDonnell

Another segment of the interview with Attorney General Bob McDonnell that had to be cut for space reasons was a discussion of his future plans...

There’s a joke that pops up every four years in Virginia politics.

The Old Dominion doesn’t vote for a governor, lieutenant governor and attorney general — it votes for a governor and two gubernatorial candidates.

McDonnell said he’s not in that latter class. Yet.

“I’ve worked with five governors so far. It’s a great job. I worked four years and during a recount to get this job,” he said. “I’m going to do everything I can to do a good job as attorney general.”

If he does a good enough job as the state’s top lawyer, then he might be rewarded with higher office down the line. Part of that job includes work on regulatory reform and some changes to the state’s justice system

“If I had the opportunity to do that, it would be exciting,” he said. “But right now I’ve got to focus. I’ve got 300 people working for me and there’s a lot of important things I’d like to do in that office.”